Ethiopia - Day One

She's over there. I'm going to get her. Two days of airports is worth it. I'm going to Africa. Ethiopia to be precise. I'm not saving the world this time around, I'm leaving that one up to my wife, which could be considered a pattern at this point. She's a third year OB/GYN resident, giving up three weeks of her life to the Gondar University Hospital. I'm joining for the end.

Portland to Newark. Newark to Frankfurt. Frankfurt to Addis Ababa. Addis Ababa to Gondar. Leaving Sunday morning. Getting there Tuesday morning. No problem, except for the massive head cold. I'll be gone for two weeks and I've streamlined the packing. One main backpack (courtesy of Mike). One small over the shoulder (courtesy of Brian). I am seated in a regular isle (not the usual exit I luck into) and the fattest man on the plane is in front of me. Did I mention my runny nose?

Things I wonder on this trip ...
Will Ethiopia blow my mind more than Thailand?
Will I adopt more or less than a dozen children?
Will my surgically repaired knee hold up?
Will the $500 in cash I brought with me make it all the way?
Will my wife notice I lost 15 pounds?
Will Amsterdam steal the show at the end of the trip?

Sit back, relax and ponder while I "enjoy" the flight.

No comments: