Thailand - Day Ten - Phuket

The most surprisingly beautiful day of my life.

We had breakfast at the other place at our hotel (not Cinnamon). Fried eggs might have been a mistake. When we were driving an hour to Kayak Phuket Adventures my stomach was sloshing. Feeling nauseous and going sea canoing didn't sound ideal.

First it was a 45-minute boat ride with our group (about 16 people) to a beach. It was fine, but nothing compared to what we had yesterday. After that it was time for lunch, luckily I was feeling OK, and that's how the meal on the boat was... OK. We could see tons of islands in the distance, and were slowly closing in. Lisa thought the islands were amazing, but they didn't really hit me until we were up close. It looked like the islands were trying to escape from the ocean.

Then it was time for our guide to lead us into the lagoon. Mr. Dean sat at the back of our canoe and rows, we sat and enjoyed the incredible views. I had never seen water that was emerald green, and I actually always thought how fake it looked when I saw it in movies. Now I know better. In the center there were crabs and no fish of any substantial size.

The next stop was mangrove cave. Absolutely insane. We had to lie down in our canoe, and then Mr. Dean would get out and partially deflate so we could fit through the caves into the middle of the island. We were doing this during low tide and only then would it have been possible, the caves can't be seen in high tide. At one point I was trying to push Lisa's head against my body to get her lower and Mr. Dean had me move my hand because otherwise it would have scraped the top of the cave. It's the closest to a tomb I have ever been in, and luckily the caves were only about 50 meters long, so it didn't last forever.

Visually, this was the highlight of the entire trip. Mr. Dean was an amazing guide and the trip to Phuket was completely worthwhile based on this alone.

I picked up my custom fit shirts when we got back, and they fit perfect. If anything the sleeves were a hint too long which is a first in my life. For dinner we ate at this tiny place where we were the only customers. Just like Babu, Kata Noi Beer Garden needed more customers. So if you are ever in the neighborhood, go. It's also super cheap. I had a watermelon shake and pineapple & prawns in fried rice. Lisa's green curry was better. And we had more spring rolls.

Then we make a $5 Phuket mistake. Our hotel was having a mango celebration, and so we tried the mango creme brulee. Sounded good in theory, but it came too quickly, which means they probably had one sitting around. The top didn't crack and Lisa was immediately suspect. I realized she wasn't eating much, so I picked up the slack. Then she informed me that I was pretty much eating raw eggs and that was the end of desert.

No comments: